How to, Properly, Shotgun A Beer
How to Shotgun A Beer
Hold the beer horizontally. If you don’t do this, the next step is going to make a mess. It should be a little tilted so that that bottom is slightly higher than the top.
Puncture a hole on the side of the can, near the bottom, with a can opener, key, or other sharp object(Not a knife if possible). You can also puncture the can with your thumb but don’t try this without knowing how to do it first. It can also create a giant mess of beer so do it in the sink or outside. An article/instructable on how to shotgun a beer with your thumb can be found here:Shotgun a Beer with Just Your Thumb If you think about it, when holding the beer horizontally with the bottom up a bit, there will be a small air pocket at the bottom of the can. If you can puncture the hole in the air pocket properly, no beer will shoot out. Try to push the sharp edges of the can inside of the can to avoid cuts on your hand and your mouth.
Quickly place your mouth over the hole, so that you don’t spill any of the beer, and turn the can upright.
- After you have tilted the beer upright, suck on the can until little or no more beer will come out and quickly crack open the beer tab on the top where you would normally be drinking. Let the beer flow straight down your throat, the more you chug and gulp while shotgunning the beer the longer it will take.
- Drink as fast as you can. The ability for air to get in from the top of the can will allow the beer out of the bottom at a very intense rate.
- Do this outside or over a sink. You wouldn’t want to ruin someone’s carpeting.
- Be sure the hole is big enough. One the size of a dime or a nickel works for most people. If you make it too small you’ll still be standing there by the time your friends start on their second round.
- Before puncturing the hole, know were the tab is. Have in a position that won’t make it awkward to open when shotgunning begins.
- Drinking beer quickly can get you intoxicated faster. Drink responsibly.
- Drinking beer this way can be extremely dangerous. The beer will be forced into the throat under pressure. If the beer isn’t swallowed fast enough it may be aspirated into the lungs resulting in choking or possibly death due to what is known as a dry drowning.
- Be careful when putting your mouth on the opening you cut in the can. It can be very sharp and cut you if you’re not careful.
- Avoid the use of a knife if possible, a key is best and much safer.
- Shotgunning beer can hurt because of the carbonation and can give you a bad stomach ache. It can also induce some people to throw it back up so be careful.
Things You’ll Need
- 1 Can of Beer
- 1 Can opener, knife, or any sharp object to puncture the can. A shotgun key (specifically made to shotgun a beer) is also a choice.